Saturday, November 28, 2015
A Caregiver's List of Daily Reminders
The list that follows is simply a quick reminder to those of us who find ourselves involved in a daily life far from regular or average and involving care giving on a "learn as you go basis".
(1) Try to stand back and step back to evaluate and plan. As a 24/7 caregiver this is one of the hardest things to do. It is the most necessary.
(2) Communicate as best you can. You cannot please everyone and people react differently to life challenges.
(3) Keep believing in what you're doing, the person you're doing it for, and yourself.
(4) Stay focused and create mini plans even when it's simply reacting to and dealing with one crisis after another.
(5) Remember, you are doing the best you can with what you have at the time you're going through.
(6) Listen, learn, research, but above all share with others. Find or create communities where life, living and its challenges are talked about and needed changes are made.
(7) Life is day to day and we create the future one day at a time in the present.
(8) Be thankful sometimes when no one is there to see what you see, know what you know and do what you do because not everyone can bear the weight you've been given.
(9) Find one thing each day to see or hear that gives a small amount of joy to you and to your loved one. It can be a word, a memory shared or even a smile. These moments are priceless.
(10) The person you care about, the person you care for, has a journey you can only share coming alongside and beside but to them there is nothing greater than your being there.