Monday, October 6, 2014

Memories Cling Stronger Than My Will Power At Times

Rain and really cold weather has delayed my planned garage sale for a few days. For the good, really, there's a lot more that could and should GO.

On the other hand, I'm moving things around to get to more and sometimes I pause, reflect and set aside items I really should release and let go -- like a fish that needs to grow some more, this small item or that large one needs to swim away, go somewhere else.

I tell myself there's far too much but I don't have the support on those TV programs from the ultimate cleaning crew that comes in, clears out, cleans up and "Voila!" you have an amazing new reclaimed space.

It's not hoarding -- it's accumulation from my in laws years of life together we received after my Mother-in-law passed and my husband couldn't bear to go through. Now, they were "collectors" of everything you could imagine and keepers of "things" that might be useful. Again, comes from living through the depression, I believe, or a major loss, never having very much and valuing everything that comes your way or other "reasons" for accumulating along the road of life.

Then, too, we came of age during a time when many items were becoming "replaceable" and had built in obsolescence.  Today, we're plagued with created obsolescence through businesses pushing us into buying the latest, the greatest and wanting "the best" whatever the cost.

It's not a new concept. Manufacturer's of clothing "knocked off" pieces from collections of designers who most of us had heard about but couldn't possibly afford; as an "imitation", we could.

Then came the "convenience" of household machines that gave us "leisure time" or just more time for ourselves: washing machine which then was followed by a dryer -- they weren't invented as side by sides and women actually used sunlight and wind to dry clothes -- sustainable energy. Electrical appliances replaced those we used to put on stoves, inside ovens or built muscles doing by hand:  electric coffee pots, frying pans, mixers, blenders, crock pots and on and on.

They used to be repairable but then manufacturer's got smart and made them "replaceable" by including parts and pieces that couldn't be reached and then became computerized chips that couldn't be replaced except when you bought a new unit.

Lost jobs. Seems to me in many ways the manufacturer's who created products that couldn't be repaired eliminated a large part of our population who weren't headed to be engineers, doctors or lawyers or heads of businesses.

And what about so many storefronts; so many discount opportunities in person and on line. And we're told almost every minute of the day in some way on some wavelength or through some form of tech communication -- BUY, BUY, BUY  before you DIE, DIE, DIE.

Well, you can't take it with you. We don't even build monuments and store items like some ancient societies did so that won't work.

As I mentioned before, I've done several other "cullings" through having a garage sale, going to flea markets and setting up tables and even enduring a "dust bowl" day of wind and dirt which meant throwing away or giving away (after wiping off) lots of things. Before, it was "selective" selling more than it is today.

Today, I look at the still large amount of "things" of truly little NOW value and even of TOMORROW value and I'm filling more boxes and actually really looking forward to pricing them at really cheap levels which I found difficult to do in the beginning.

Back then we were desperate and coping with Mom's LBD and husband's recent death. We were trying to find out why Mom went into a facility permanently when we were told it was for "Respite" and for about two weeks. It was just after we'd learned I'd been accused of "Elder Abuse" by the woman we trusted from our Church who befriended Mom and took her to the bank, opened a safety deposit box taking money out of our home, keeping both keys and not telling anyone.

Financially we're in another trying time. A little more "cash flow" with daughter working but it's really minimal what she makes and far below her abilities -- seems to be the case for many Millennials these days as we watch her friends in the same boat even those, who unlike her, have finished undergraduate degrees and some even with Masters.

So, a little extra $$$ raised with a garage sale, although probably not much, will come in handy.  We have some major expenses that we're going to have to manage and as the days go by I become more and more concerned. 

Here's to better weather this week and I might even be able to hold a garage sale for two days.  I have more than enough, I'm sure, now that I'm really going through boxes, bags and purging old tools, some pieces of old furniture and kids toys -- supposedly what people are looking for.

Not that I want Dementia but not being able to remember some things might make the separation a little easier. Funny how we attach feelings to so many things that are paper, plastic, metal and wood.

Taking those hands of mine I mentioned that sometimes mentally wrap around my back to push me in the right direction -- decluttering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and any additional information we can research and pass on to others. Together we learn and grow.