Saturday, June 24, 2023

Logic and Reasoning Missing With Medical Personnel

Written on November 13 2020; posted June 24, 2023 -- 

Why so long to publish? Honestly I felt like no one was really listening. It's important to raise awareness, share the times spent, including the challenges which were so prevalent.

I realized through all my involvement raising awareness of all Dementias that Lewy Body Dementia needs more professionals to get behind this type of Dementia and share their personal knowledge and experience.

Life has seasons, each more beautiful than the other with some bringing times of unrest and challenges. 

It's Autumn outside and inside today. Trees are almost bare of leaves. 

Just yesterday, figuratively speaking, the bright colors burst forth and cast a colorful glow all around outshining the colorful birds at our feeder and the late Summer flowers still blooming far past their usual time.

Some would say it's the Winter of life when we grow older and begin those years most describe as "downhill all the way" but I believe Winter is closer to the end and I've just started another new beginning.

Gifts in life appear and disappear; some are tangible, others are whisps of air drifting or floating past. 

We decide the road we travel with each day that passes.

Amazing gift this Summer. So needed with COVID-19 wrecking havoc all around.

A positive that began with a strong negative, lots of concern and a little fear.

June 1, 2020. Took a break from being in front of the computer trying to get through another day of uncertainty about life in general and managing to keep trying to understand which of the directions is the "right" one -- at least for now.

ADDENDUM:  It's June 2023. Not quite three years later. I decided to become more active advocating for Seniors and especially those with Dementia and other challenges several years ago. Accomplished some steps forward and plan to continue to find ways to share and work towards better lives for our Seniors.

I've attended many conferences especially those put on by the Ombudsman organization (each State is required to have one by Federal Law but there are still a couple of States that appear not to have followed this directive). 

I've gone to our State Capitol to talk with Legislators about upcoming opportunities to assist our Senior population. 

I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh in July 2023 for a special conference on aging and changes in how people from many countries are stepping up to acknowledge "Elders" wants and needs, not just what society thinks they should have.

COVID is "over" although there are still updates on "new" shots so doesn't this mean there's still a challenge?

Ironically I did not get it but my Millenial daughter did. However, I think a couple of weeks ago we were once again "visited" by either this challenge or certainly something mimicking COVID. Glad we were both fully up to date on our Inoculations.

After a trip East, made to attend a funeral of a family member, within a day of returning home, I became very dizzy and weak. For the first time in several years, I asked to be taken to a local Urgent Care facility we'd once tried. 

Disappointment in the medical facility. Three "medical people" each tried to convince me to take significant testing inolving MRI's and other equipment.

Know it was because of my age and "risk factor" and my vitals were "up" quite a bit. But the cost, even at this supposedly less expensive medical facility was still in the four figures range and probably five figure if I'd had them all.

However, reason told me this was something I'd "caught" during the participation in the very large funeral and wake with so many "unknown" people -- and we've gone back to "hugging" and "touching". 

Shortening the story -- within 24 hours my Millenial daughter was as sick as I was. It was helpful I was one day ahead because even though I was really, really, sick, I could help her to get what she needed. Apparently some kind of "virus" in Pittsburgh decided to travel back with us.

Although I wasn't "applauding" her challenges, I felt verified for my belief, as someone who has a genetic history of strong, long lived women in my mother and grandmother, it was related to our trip and socializing with people who we didn't know and haven't seen before or for a very long time.

We might believe "it's gone" -- but viruses and COVID have a tendency to continue to "adapt" and "change" and we must consider this as we move forward. 

Doctor finally provided a prescription for a general antibiotic -- but he'd sent the other two "different" staff members in again to either evaluate or try to convince me to take the tests.

Do not suggest YOU make your decisions based on mine. Just recounting how important it is to know your own body.

IT'S THE SAME FOR LEWY BODY DEMENTIA.  The person may have some or all "features" of the medical challenge but there can still be a "part" of them that needs to be heard, to try to understand where they are and what "they" need and "want".

AGEISM is strong in our society. Categorizing someone physically, emotionally or otherwise can be a mistake. 

We need to ask more questions related to the situation and then consider ALL the possibilities whether a professional, or someone without certifications and degrees.

LISTEN. ASK. THINK. People deserve to be treated not by the years they've achieved but by respecting their choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments and any additional information we can research and pass on to others. Together we learn and grow.